The Toyota RAV4 remains one of South Africa’s favourite Sport Utility Vehicles, racking up over 400 units on a monthly basis; it has established itself as one of the segment leaders in this competitive marketplace.
For 2016, the range receives some enhancements with the top-of-the-range VX model enjoying most of the action.
The VX grade receives a boost in safety specification (which will also appease the tech-heads) with the addition of Lane Change Assist. This system also incorporates Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) with a convenient indicator housed within the exterior mirrors. Making shopping mall parking manoeuvres less stressful is the Cross Traffic Alert function, which warns the driver of approaching vehicles when ‘alley docking’.
- 9 Airbags incl. driver knee
- ABS + EBD + BA
- Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
- Hill Assist Control (HAC)
- Trailer Sway Control (TSC)
- Downhill Assist Control (DAC) on 4WD models
The ‘specification tailoring’ continues with the inclusion of stylish foot-well lighting, bolstering both aesthetics and convenience, and deletion of the sunroof.
The model line-up continues as before with three engines (two petrol and one diesel) and both 2WD and AWD derivatives on offer. Customers electing for the GX grade have the choice between a 2.0-litre petrol powerplant (in both 6-speed manual and CVT guise driving the front wheels) and a 2.2-litre turbodiesel paired with the 6-speed manual transmission, offering AWD.
VX buyers have a choice between a super refined 2.5-litre 4-cylinder petrol engine and a ‘torquey’ 2.2-litre diesel variant – both driving through a 6-speed automatic transmission with driver-selectable AWD.
- 2.0-litre petrol – 107 kW, 187 Nm
- 2.2-litre diesel – 110 kW, 340 Nm
- 2.5-litre petrol – 132 kW, 233 Nm
- RAV4 2.0 GX 2WD – R 367 000
- RAV4 2.0 GX CVT 2WD – R 379 500
- RAV4 2.2D GX AWD – R 459 000
- RAV4 2.2D VX AT AWD – R 547 000
- RAV4 2.5 VX AT AWD – 513 000
The complete RAV4 range is backed by a 5 year/90 000 km service plan and 3 year/100 000 km warranty.